Federal Government unit reduces legal risk
Large government R/E portfolio with some premises dating pre-19th century. Asbestos and other contaminants are prevalent in the older buildings. There is an abatement/remediation program ongoing as well as a hazardous material register in place.
The government unit responsible for dealing with hazardous materials in the portfolio was tackling three main issues
- there were lengthy delays researching hazard types and locations as the process is separate from maintenance,
- there was no way to enforce/check that workers had reviewed the registry prior to working in a location, and
- the hazardous materials handling documents were bulky and a burden to carry
- workers needed an easier way to check the hazardous materials registry for contaminants before starting on any work
- government needed critical data captured to be compliant.
Integrating the hazardous materials registry with the maintenance system and the FieldFLEX mobile maintenance app was necessary
- to streamline the process so facility workers would have hazardous materials registry within mobile work ticket
- automatically record date & time when technician opened hazardous materials records
- to view procedures which captured required data and information for compliance
The government unit reduced
- its’ exposure claims
- reduced legal risk by enforcing procedure and policy compliance
- access to accurate information through mobile technology
The process was now
- educed time and consumables
- capturing critical data.
- created data and records in the field that provided compliance with national standards for working with hazardous materials.